Managing a serious illness in the family, there hasn’t been time for much updating of the blog journal….but I am using the quick format of Instagram to keep a bit of a record of textile potterings, which add a bit of peace and grounding to difficult times. Sometimes just finding time to soak one little piece of cloth in a pot of plant dye, or stitch a row of simple stitches on a small piece of cloth that may one day become a pocket or a patch, can bring some moments of calm and meditation.
The Instagram address is
Have found a lovely part of the house to sit and spin 😍….. spinning improving and becoming much more relaxing, although as with most things I am learning that the more I learn the more there is to learn! I am spinning some lovely Beersheba Farm Castledale fibre, purchased at the Bendigo Wool Show.
A very promising sight this morning, lovely blue bloom on the fructose vat
And the ph was good at 11.4; so I had high hopes for a good strong colour; but in fact it was a fairly pale result, proving that my vat often has a mind of its own! Nevertheless some multiple dips and some over-dyeing produced some interesting results
And even a couple more misty moons!
I have managed to revive my dormant fructose vat with a combination of methods…. heat, more fructose, more hydrated lime and finally a new starter added in! I find I want to overdye some of the pieces after they dry . Nice pile of garments growing, also small bits of fabric for a slow cloth that i am starting to plan. But most exciting was my first successful moon….
I love the moon circles that Jude Hill uses in her lovely Spirit Cloths, and I have been learning some indigo and Shibori techniques from the Shibori Girl website. I think this will be the forerunner of quite a few moons!
A very fun blue-letter day: my first attempt at an indigo vat. Used the natural 3-2-1 pickling lime and fruit one, used fructose today but will try with bananas next. I muddled along a bit with the proportions and getting the lime to dissolve into the brew, so as I always seem to do, I was learning on the job! but it seemed to follow the general process which all the instructions point to, and I managed to sample -dye a number of pieces of fabric! very exciting, will keep practising with this over the next week or two; a change from my favourite eucalyptus – based dye pots . Will be pleased to see how the fabrics look tomorrow after washing: can’t quite believe it has been so successful and so quick! The vat was very strong, I actually weakened off some of the brew for the lighter pieces but I suspect they will be lighter in any case after washing………..watch this space !!!
Basics of new wardrobe, hand-stitched, naturally printed and dyed……….very satisfying!
glorious colours, a new dress, very happy with this one!